Mark 1:9-11

Mark 1:9-11 NKJV


9 It came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And immediately, coming up [c]from the water, He saw the heavens [d]parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove. 11 Then a voice came from heaven, “You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mark speaks of this event from Jesus’ experience, not John’s. In this brief account, Jesus came to John for water baptism. Why would He feel the need to be baptized? He is after all the Son of God! John was baptizing for repentance. Jesus was sinless and had nothing to repent.

One reason is that this is how and where God the Father publicly commissions Jesus to begin His ministry. As Jesus walks onto the scene at the Jordan River, John announces “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.’” John 1:29-30

Once with John, Jesus asks John to baptize Him. This brought about a brief discussion between the two. John felt unworthy to do so and without realizing God’s plan he tells Jesus “You should be baptizing me!” Nonetheless, John brings Jesus into the river and immerses Him in the water. Immediately upon rising out of the water, Jesus sees the heavens open, and the Holy Spirit descends from the sky on Him like a dove. Then He hears the words of His Father being spoken to Him. “You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”


At this moment all three persons of the God head are represented and thus began Jesus’ earthly ministry.

What I learned from this passage…


>Jesus was obedient to the Father. He understood the end goal, the coming suffering on the cross before He arrived at the Jordan that day. Yet, He was faithful to perform all that was asked of Him. I don’t know all the trials and persecutions I will experience in this life but I know my end goal is to be in heaven with Jesus.

>As with John, I do not always understand what Jesus is asking of me, so all I need to do is obey and let God be responsible for the outcome.

>As a child of God, I have the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit!

>Before God launches me into ministry, he prepares me with the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, I cannot withstand the advisory, the devil. (Mark 1:12-13; Matthew 4:1-11Luke 4:1-13)

Comments

Popular Posts